Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Getting Started




Day1: We used a 2 1/2 ton floor jack to put the 20' container corners on 4x4s to get it off the ground and level in its temporary spot where we will be doing the conversion. We marked out the floor plan in blue tape; showing wall thickness, door cutout and the utilities infrastructure. The tape helps us get a better feel for the space and access. The next step will be to purchase the 2 sliding patio doors, build the steel tube frames that they will fit into and cut the first opening on the side.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed with your ambition but I wonder why you opted for such heavy unit requiring so much time energy and money rather than something like this that is ultimately restorable and cheap.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/1156520996.html

southolive said...

That is a cool idea I think and it makes allot of sense to have something so durable.

Mario said...

Mario,

I'm researching the AT FlipPac and got to here.

My wife and I are in the same situation: rural land (Hudson Valley, NY), cannot be full time residence yet but want safe, secure temporary solution.

Wondering if you've seen this: http://ecopods.ca/index.php

Best of luck..

Mario :)
New York City

Unknown said...

Great idea. I am looking at doing the same thing. Still in planning stage. Where did you purchase the new shipping container? And if you don't me asking....what did it set you back?

Me said...

What is the latest?? This is a great idea!